Tuesday, February 15, 2011

iPad: Road Test

Road Test is an article written by Pam Derringer to inform educators of new strategies for K-12 leaders. The article focuses on the Apple iPad becoming the most efficient tool of the time to use in schools. Lighter than a laptop, but with a bigger screen than a BlackBerry, the iPad is an ideal technological advancement.

According to the article, "The iPad opens the door for two things: collecting classroom observations and checking off teacher behavior". Miguel Guhlin, a technology director in the San Antonio region, is an advocate for the use of this new technology. He believes that using the iPad is an efficient way to gather information on individual students by combining many sources into a single source. The iPad allows this to happen.

The future of education is believed to incorporate the use of technology into everyday learning. Guhlin anticipates that, further down the road, "Simple, affordable videoconferencing equipment will enable administrators to converse with one another and/or broadcast on the fly". He also notes that smaller districts are often more open to innovating technology than larger districts, where "deployments cost more and more stakeholders weigh in on the proposals". Lastly, Guhlin states: " We want to support teachers but hold them accountable". This infers that schools will give their teachers more and more tools to educate their students, with the idea that the success of these students is dependent on the teachers' use of these tools. Technology is the future of education.

17 comments:

Felkey said...

"faster and longer battery life"
What does this mean?

Ashley said...

I don't really like iPads, but great presentation #1.

dawesome said...

Great presentation. The iPad looks pretty cool but I heard it is really heavy.

Amelia Catheirne said...

Have you ever used an iPad before? If so do you like them and think that they are very useful?

Molly McCabe said...

Interesting presentation, enjoyed it.

Cam said...

Is Apple doing anything to decrease the price of the apps so that its more affordable and easier to access?

Curtis said...

Wish I had an Ipad, Why don't I have an Ipad? Life is unfair, why? So do you foresee the use of the Ipad in schools in the very near future? So I can have one.... Please?...

Brittany said...

I think that it is good that they are incorporating the teachers into all of this. As you said as the years go on the kids become more tech savvy and the teachers should stay updated so they know what their students are doing and they can relate.

Michelle Sylvia said...

I want an iPad! Are some of you using it in your other classrooms? I would like to see how other educators in my field use them. I'm not sure if it would be worth it for me to use them instead of the other technology in my classrom. But then again, I couldn't see the point in getting rid of my 8-track tapes either. :)

Awesome prezi Kels.

Nick Barthe said...

i think ipads are wicked cool and fun to use. if i had one of those in school i wouldn't mind being here at all! in an effort to help out the education of our country, couldn't apple just lower prices for schools and students if they needed it?

Jess Lupo-Brackett said...

well your prezi was amazing! I love using the ipads in bio-ethics so i agree that technology is the future and that is saves time and allows for more information to be obtained.

Allison said...

May you please buy me an ipad because I want to have a longer battery life!

Adriana De Castro said...

That was a great article and I totally agree that ipads are awesome. I think every school should have and more importantly use them.

Lisa said...

I liked your prezi, it was fly. I want an iPad. I like that it has a longer battery life, because I hate when things die. Good day!

Omega Wolf Melissa said...

I think the ipad is a nifty little piece of technology, and I'm waiting for it to advance more before I consider getting one myself. I like them, they're light and easy to use, and it wouldn't be hard to carry one on the bus so I have something to do on the ride home, or in the doctors office. I can see it will become more advanced in the future, and I look forward to it. I do wish I had a laptop though. :/

Chellsey said...

LOVED YOUR PREZI!!! ipads are cool, and we use them in class. Maybe they should get them for all classes so we could type notes and not have to write them.

Katryna said...

The ipad's are a great way to help educate the students because its something that they like to go on its like an ipod but bigger and they would wanna go on it to learn more. They just might be a little hard to us if you arent used to it because its total concentration.