Monday, April 5, 2010

A Unique Perspective – Austin Soares

So, I am sitting around, checking my Google Voice messages while listening to my music on iTunes when I get an update on Facebook. My life is so connected to my computer that everything that I do on my computer has a purpose. I have been using my MacBook Pro since October of sophomore year. It has seen many updates, many installations, and has played music for over 100+ hours. I have installed three different versions of Windows on a Boot Camp partition including XP, Vista, and now, Windows 7 Professional. I use programs like Photoshop, Flash, and Google Chrome on both operating systems.

If someone were to browse through my computer, they would realize that I am a very organized person. Most of my documents are in files found in different folders all in reach of a click on a stack in the dock. They would also notice how heavily I surround myself with customization of not only my iPhone, but also my computer. I have created custom icons, wallpapers, and themes for both platforms. I believe that shaping computers or computers shaping us happen both ways. At first, I bought a Mac to get organized and have more power at my fingertips for programs such as Photoshop, an eventually, this organization followed over to Windows 7 once I had installed it. I shape my computer personally when creating custom icons, docks, and wallpapers. The future of technology is too vast to comprehend, but if my computer was put on display for the whole world to see, I would like them to see all of the work that was put into files such as my senior project, Flashcore, as well as some of the Google Sketchup files I had created for my father’s company.

Personally, I would like to keep information such as usernames and passwords of various social media accounts to be private from view because each is simply unique and I wouldn’t want my unique usernames to be used again.

Of course, if I had to choose one person’s computer to view, I would choose Steve Jobs because after designing some of the components of my laptop and marketing such an amazing company, I would like to see if he uses his own products and if so, how he uses it in order to keep the company ahead of the game. I would most like to see how he decides how to present his keynotes that introduce new products, product updates, or even new services. Second priority would be to find out what kind of programs he uses day to day and whether or not he uses them correctly since after all, he thought of how to change the game and told us to “think different”. How would he use that concept on his programs if this is the case?

1 comment:

Michelle Sylvia said...

Nice post Austin. I saw your desktop and you're right. It's very neat! I also have a relatively "neat" computer with several folders and files, etc. It's funny because it doesn't shed light on my real life, because I have a ton of filing and the papers are piling up!